New Resident Information
Whether you are planning to live in Potter for only a short time–or for the indefinite future-we hope you will make yourself a part of the community and will enjoy the pleasures of small-town America while you are here.
Welcome to our community and we hope you join us for the wonderful activities that make our community a great place to live!
Village Office 308-879-4332
Digger’s Hotline 800-331-5666
Potter Public Library 308-879-4345
Potter Post Office 308-879-4381
Sidney Regional Medical Center 308-254-5825
Kimball Health Services 308-235-3621
Regional West Physicians Clinic 308-254-9192
Prairie Pines Golf Course 308-879-4469
High West Energy (Electricity) 888-834-1657
Black Hills Energy (Gas) 800-215-3035
Broadband Internet 866-542-6779
Broadband Internet 308-635-9434
Telephone & DSL Internet Sales 866-304-6820
Customer Care 888-723-8010
DSL Internet 1-800-558-7836
Potter Dix Public Schools
Potter Site- Jr./Sr. High 308-879-4434
Dix Site- Elementary 308-682-5226
Potter-Dix Early Learning Facility 308- 879-4586
Youth Center- Contact Jerry Steele for information about renting 308-879-4312
Community Hall- Contact Jerry Steele for information about renting 308-879-4312
Potter Rural Cemetery Contact Hal Enevoldsen for more information 308-879-4451
· There is a leash law for all dogs in the Village. There is a limit of 3 dogs and 5 cats per property. Any dog found running at large in the Village will be impounded by the Animal Control Officer.
· Dog & Cat Licenses expire biannually on April 30, and may be purchased from the Village Office annually with proof of current Rabies Vaccination. The cost is $7.00 for neutered, spayed or male dogs & cats. The cost is $9.00 for intact female dogs & cats.
· The storing of unlicensed, inoperable or wrecked vehicles outside for more than 30 days is against the Municipal Code of Potter.
· It is the homeowner’s responsibility to maintain their property from the middle of the street to the middle of the alley; this includes taking care of the sidewalks, weeds & grass.
· Grass & weeds must be kept below 12”. Once over 12” it is considered a Public Nuisance and can be removed by the Village at the owner’s expense.
· Trees must be kept trimmed to a height of at least 8’ above the sidewalk and to at least 14’ above the street.
· Dumpsters are provided for the residents of Potter and can be found in the alley on most streets. Do not put yard waste, hot ash or tires in the dumpsters. They are emptied every Monday.
· We have a recycling trailer that is located west of the Depot museum on Front Street. Recyclables that are accepted are #1 & #2 plastics, paper, magazines & aluminum cans.
· Building Permits are required, and they must be approved prior to beginning any work.
· The Village of Potter offers residents the use of an Organic Landfill, which is located just 1 mile north and ½ mile east of town. Grass clippings, garden waste, branches, trees and unpainted wood with no metal may be taken to the landfill. It is open yearly April-October weather permitting.
· The speed limit in town is 20 mph, and in the school zone it is 15 mph.